We get so focused on our content calendars for Social Media and Email promotions that we often forget our most important digital footprint … our website. Or too often small business owners treat their website as a one-off exercise, never to be updated until the cobwebs are settling in.
Your website is a living creature that needs to be constantly fed and cared for if it is to do everything you want it to do. And that means regular updates – critical to the success of your website and to keep you ahead of your competitors.
So what can you do to make your website work harder for you?
- Sit down and plan for the next 3-6 months – Think of suitable promotions and content and then create a series of messages that will reflect this on your homepage;
- Tap into key seasonal buying dates and events – from Christmas to Summer, from Valentine’s Day to Mother’s Day, not to mention big sporting events such as All Black games or a cat show (just kidding about the cat show). With a little imagination, you can link promotions to all sorts of dates;
- Create eye-catching visuals and establish a consistent identity that will become recognisably yours over time. While we recommend bringing in the professionals if you can’t afford the expense, sites like Canva are free to use and a great tool for creating imagery and graphics;
- Don’t forget to tie in your promotions with your social media activity to drive traffic back to your website. Create versions of your Home page graphics to a size suitable for social media and to create synergy between all your marketing channels.
- Programme in a quarterly review (more often if you can handle it) to ensure that your website is delivering a consistent and high customer experience, is optimised to capture web traffic and is delivering their business goals. A website audit is the fundamental first step to in determining where a client’s current digital marketing strategy is at and provides the foundation on which to set targets for the future.
If you don’t have the time to effectively manage your online footprint connect with us to ensure your website, whether informational or eCommerce leads to business success.