Snapchat came along as a disappearing messaging app and has quickly turned into a common way for teens and young adults to chat with each other on their smartphones. Although it’s been recently outshined by Instagram Stories, another version of disappearing updates and messages, Snapchat still has 186 million daily active users.
Snapchat age & gender demographics
Snapchat’s strength is in its appeal to younger audiences, and many of its users visit the platform multiple times a day.
- 69% of 13-17 year olds use Snapchat.
- 68% of 18-29 year olds use Snapchat.
- 26% of 30-49 year olds use Snapchat.
- 10% of 50-64 year olds use Snapchat.
- 3% of 65+ year olds use Snapchat.
More women than men use the messaging platform.
- 31% of online women use Snapchat.
- 23% of online men use Snapchat.
Snapchat location demographics
For US social media users, here is the breakdown of use by region:
- 32% of adults living in urban areas use Snapchat.
- 26% of adults living in suburban areas use Snapchat.
- 18% of adults living in rural areas use Snapchat.
Snapchat education demographics
- 24% of adults with a high school diploma or less use Snapchat.
- 31% of adults with some college experience use Snapchat.
- 26% of adults who graduated college use Snapchat.
Snapchat income demographics
- 23% of adults who make less than $30,000 use Snapchat.
- 33% of adults who make between $30,000–$49,999 use Snapchat.
- 26% of adults who make between $50,000–$74,999 use Snapchat.
- 30% of adults who make over $75,000 use Snapchat.