Christmas, it's a word that strikes terror into the best business owner, marketer or anyone working in retail but it's also the most wonderful time of the year with 40% of revenue for many businesses coming from the month of December alone. And following a turbulent 2020, Christmas this year is going to feel a little different from what we have previously known. The pandemic has changed many aspects of our lives, and the new habits we have formed will shape our behaviour over the festive season.
One thing we know for sure is that Christmas this year will be all about one thing: “flexibility”. With ad budgets tightened until the end of 2020, lockdown restrictions still in place in various markets and the possibility of a second wave of Covid-19 a distinct possibility, Christmas campaigns are looking to be a far less glitzy affair than in years past. Some are predicting a swell of creative focused on the power of community, putting small business on a level footing with big box retailers.
A global marketing guide from Facebook IQ highlights trends and insights around new habits formed at this time, and which are likely to shape trends for the 2020 season and beyond. The five key insights include:
- Gen X and Boomers dominate mobile and ecommerce growth.
- Self-gifting and seasonal shopping can be positive outlets in difficult times.
- Imposed disruption fuels receptiveness to news products and services.
- The economic downturn will expedite the rise of mega sales.
- The new value equation is: affordability, authenticity and action.
If that's not enough to get you planning then you need to ensure that you are embracing all forms of marketing mediums into your promotions and if you don't have an online store you may want to consider that:
- 96% of Christmas shoppers are planning to do some of their Christmas shopping online,
- 48% of shoppers advising they would do at least half their shopping online! That's a lot of sales you could be missing out on.
- As for mobile sites, 64% of smartphone shoppers are planning to spend more on their mobiles this Christmas than last year, so time to get that mobile site sorted!!
- And most importantly don't forget your social platforms, two-thirds of shoppers use social media to find the perfect gift.
So if you have left your Christmas Promotional planning to the last minute here are some quick tips to make the most of the season:
- What's your Christmas Theme - what is your tone and look? Talk to your graphic designer and get all marketing material on fast-track (bribery may be required here)
- Brainstorm a list of creative post/marketing ideas perfect for each marketing platform
- Print a calendar and drop in key dates - make a note of extended hours, important shipping dates etc
- Diary your email marketing campaigns
- Diary website additions
- Diary your social media calendar - use scheduling where you can to take some of the stress out of the season
- If you are planning a VIP event for customers drop it into the calendar and make a note of what you need to deliver a fantastic customer experience
And most importantly that Christmas isn't about discounts and one-day sales, it's about family, love and giving so make sure your overarching campaign reflects this (the discounting etc is part of the promotional plan but it isn't your Christmas Campaign).
Below are some of our resources to help you fast-track your Christmas planning and still make the most of the season.
If it’s all just too much, get in contact and focus on making those tills ring with sales!
CONNEC+ CHRISTMAS RESOURCE CENTRE
We've pulled together a few of our favourite resources, Christmas style, to help you through the planning. And a word to the wise if you haven't got your Christmas plan sorted, (tick tock), it's time to throw on the Christmas CD's and get in the mood.
DOWNLOAD YOUR CHRISTMAS RESOURCES
Bonus Holiday Promotion - 27-point checklist for Black Friday/Cyber Monday